Sunday, December 14, 2008

First XC ski trip

My first XC ski trip in 12 years I think. It has been quite some time since I last strapped on some skis in Oregon. Joel, Leif and I decided to buy some new skis on Friday at a shop near my apartment. I think we made Andreas the happiest young ski salesman in Norway by buying 3 identical sets. Then Joel made him even happier by coming back the next day and buying a set of downhill skis as well.

We took the bus today (Sunday) up towards Bymarka to test out the new equipment.
I'm sure that we looked a bit dorky getting on the bus with 3 identical sets of skis (some with the price stickers still on) but I didn't hear anyone laughing at us.

There is a nice loop around a small reservoir called Baklidammen. Here is a link to some additional photos from today: http://picasaweb.google.com/mileslsmith/XCSkiingDec14#

It was a very nice day up there, maybe around 30F with just a little wind on the lake. There is a bit more snow up there than in the city, as you can see from some of the trees in the pictures. No major injuries were suffered in spite of our sometimes flailing around like giraffes on roller skates. I'm sure the Norwegians that went whizzing past us thought that we were suffering from some kind of advanced spastic muscle disease. I got a kick out of one little boy I saw who couldn't have been more than 3 years old. He went zipping down a hill in front of his mom, and then when he got to the bottom he waited and his mom pulled him up the hill by the hood on his jacket. He later wiped out in front of Joel, so he just layed there and when Joel went by he stuck up his hand, Joel helped him up, and off he went again...
I think all 3 of us will be nursing a few sore spots tomorrow but nothing too bad.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment